Toothaches hurt because the pulp of a tooth has been compromised. When the enamel protecting a tooth is damaged, dangerous bacteria can infect the pulp and eventually cause the tooth to fail. The pulp is the life force of a tooth because it houses the tooth’s connective tissues, nerve endings, and blood vessels. When the nerve endings are damaged, you can experience extreme pain. You should schedule a visit with your dentist if any of the following complications of a toothache are present:
– Is your tooth still in pain 24 hours after taking pain medications?
– Are you still feeling discomfort 24 hours after a tooth extraction?
– Is your face suffering from inflammation and is the area around the tooth severely swollen?
– Have you noticed with any discharge or signs of an abscess?
– Do you feel any jaw pain or pain in head and neck area as well?
– Does the ache in a tooth regularly return even after treating it?
– Is your tooth enamel is cracked or split?
If you notice any of these symptoms, schedule a visit with your dentist as soon as possible. If you need to be treated for a toothache, we are here to assist you. For a complete diagnosis and treatment, please contact 19th Avenue Dental to book an appointment with Dr. Shuichi Yamaguchi and the team at our office in Everett, Washington. Call us at 425-385-8130. We will help you get your smile back!